Friday, December 9, 2016

Down the Street, Around the Corner: Knott's Merry Farm

Happy Friday, Everyone!

I hope you all are having a happy holiday season. Today, I'm going to give you a little pictorial of my recent trip to Knott's Berry Farm (Merry for the Holidays). My mother and I took my aunt's three children as a birthday present for the youngest, Olivia.  So, be aware, I was kind of limited in the coverage I got, but I hope you'll find something helpful in here nonetheless.



Here we are! The children are on loan, courtesy of Erika Alvarado...and it's her birthday today.  Happy Birthday, Auntie!


Camp Snoopy had some cute as heck decorations.  I'm already kind of heavy on Peanuts decorations at home, but I'd still grab these if I could!



We loved these little vignettes in Camp Snoopy.


Now, Knott's uses its Ghost Town area for the bulk of its "Merry Farm" stuff. It gives, yet another interesting take on Christmas' development anthropologically, when you put it alongside Main Street and Buena Vista Street in Disneyland and DCA. But in the area here, they have a lot of local artist type knick knacks and activities.  My cousin, Reuben, is not a fan of rides, so while I took the girls on a couple of things, my mom took him to look in the shops and he got to hand dip some candles, which thoroughly pleased him. So, you can definitely find things to do depending on your family's needs and chicken-levels.



This is the original Bottle House, which you might recognize from the queue of Radiator Springs Racers.  That structure is a tribute to this one.


The Calico Mine Train is pretty fun. Longer than I thought. It's sort of a good, old school, Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland kind of attraction.  But, if you're claustrophobic, you might want to skip it. Also, get comfy with your neighbors, no seatbelts, so while you're going uphill a little, you slide RIGHT into the people next to you.  Olivia did NOT appreciate that.


The Christmas show in Campy Snoopy was a great little treat.  I wonder how much latitude the Entertainment people get because it seemed they thoroughly dove into the original Schulz comics to get jokes.  As kind of a die hard Peanuts fan, I appreciated that.







Over in the graveyard (because of course the kids were morbidly fascinated), we came upon this one grave, which gave "good luck" to those who stood on the grave and felt a heartbeat.

This good luck better work!

The highlight of the trip was the "Merry Christmas, Snoopy!" Ice Show. Again, Entertainment here just knocked it out of the park.


The stage didn't seem all that big, but man, did they make use of it!




A LOT of costume changes.

This was a gorgeous little "Old Fashioned Christmas" section.  It was surprising, but really nice.
Bring tissue.


Snoopy got jazzy, but didn't try too hard to be hip.


Santa...?

No! Snoopy Claus and his reindeer!


Dogs CAN fly!

I love this move, and I didn't think they had the space to do it.


An interesting note, at one point, Linus came center stage and recited his original explanation of the meaning of Christmas, pulled from the Bible, as he does in the 1965 special "A Charlie Brown Christmas".  The poignant moment was met with thunderous applause from the crowd.

It was ridiculously moving.  Great job, Knott's Entertainment.






One thing I'd like to note, the attractions don't have wait times listed.  I literally took the girls into the same attraction line twice because we misjudged how long the line was, and we had to bail to see the Camp Snoopy show.  What I can really say about Knott's, in a less positive way, is that it functions so much more like a regional amusement park than Disney.  It didn't feel as organized at all. And it's a real shame because it does a good job in spots of reminding you of the park's roots.

Perhaps in the new year, I'll need to take a solo trip to get a little bit of a better look. Does that sound like a good idea?

Well, that about does it. I'll have at least two great posts in the next week to accompany you on your holiday chores and shopping. Be safe, and have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment