Thursday, February 23, 2017

AP Days - Week 2...Same Old, Same Old...

Hi, everybody!

As promised, I checked out the second week of AP Days in the Starcade, to see if there are any changes. OK, I also went for the button.....

So, let's just go through the day and you'll get a little food review (the "Kanine Krunchies" segment), and a little bit of merch hidden in there (our "Gadgets & Gizmos Aplenty" segment).  You're getting not a twofer, but a THREE-FER!

I'm crazy like that.



Just a small note, while you're in the Market House getting your Starbucks, they also have a little Main Street Electrical Parade themed treat, a Hazelnut Tart.

Another little tip, the Market House's line can be a little deceptive.  It's always busy, just make your peace with it. But it tends to move pretty quickly.  And for some reason over in DCA, the Fidler, Fifer & Practical Cafe is always terribly slow... and this is the facility that was built for Starbucks level crowds.  Market House was retrofit! I don't really get it.


So, I realized I didn't show you the entrance to AP Days in the Starcade, so here you are.  It has been closed off from Star Traders.  More than once, careless visitors leaned on the door, not realizing it was a used entrance.  And let's not even mention the couple who didn't realize the line was forming on the other side of the path. Because, who needs to waste all the time reading signs?

No wonder APs have a bad reputation...


This week, they moved the nice little map right into the front of the entrance.  Nice and clear.


They have some nice retro arcade games in front, but I don't know how much use they could get being directly in the sun pouring into the Starcade.

And....when there were arcade games in the Starcade last, there was a console version of Wreck-It-Ralph you could play for free. Where'd it go?

And can I have it?



Still with the velvet star spangled tarp.  Really, Disney?



Now, I saw the Critter Country sign last week and was terrible confused....I finally got it....meet & greet...you're meeting a potential critter. 

LAME! 


The Robin Hood backdrop remained because........


Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham are here!

Now, they were the afternoon meet & greet characters last week so....is this an issue of demand for Robin Hood characters? (count me in, make a dark ride!) or just a lack of effort to switch out the characters?

If the answer is the former.....Disney merch people? Pay attention!


Prince John was VERY happy I just wanted a picture of them.

Very.  Happy.


Now, the lighting in the merch area is so awful, I'm sorry for the quality of this picture.  There's a baseball cap in there.....and pins that are sold out....and a pony...


...And customizable Star Wars themed name tags.


As of yesterday morning, they were waiting for shirts but as of the afternoon, they were back in stock.  Again, pin sets are sold out.

But there are plenty of tumblers and wine glasses!


This week's recipe card is a nice recipe from Walt himself! Which means I should be able to make it with no trouble....

Path of the Jedi - A Journey to Unwanted Emotions



Now, after I took care of the AP Days happenings, I decided it was finally time to check out Path of the Jedi.

I won't lie, despite being a Star Wars fan, I sort of avoided this attraction, partially because I was still unhappy about Captain EO leaving.

I know, I know...we were lucky to get it back in the first place, for as long as we did, etc. etc. Listen, it was SOMETHING in there...it wasn't Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, and it made plenty of people happy! And while I welcome comments at the bottom of the post, if one of you comes up with "but it looked so dated" ......I will send the trolls from Frozen after you! The rest of Tomorrowland doesn't look all the timely either! Let it be!



Anyway, now that I've calmed down from my EO attack.... it was a walk on attraction and frankly, one of the few places in the park these days where you can just go in, sit and experience something.

While I love new technology coming into the parks, I miss the attractions where you can just go an experience them without a roller coaster track under them or the dreaded need for participation.

I realize this makes me sound like an old person.  Your observation is duly noted.


Path of the Jedi is simply a repackaging of the two trilogies and the beginning of the new trilogy. However, Disney wasn't simply content to do a montage to catch you up.  The stories of Anakin and Luke are paralleled in a really nice way.  Even I was surprised at the little light bulb moments here and there.  The theater also makes use of the effects already embedded in the theater, but not to excess.

Honestly, it stirred the emotions (those darn emotions getting in the way!). Not that I'm anything less than crazy for The Last Jedi's release but this did a fantastic job to rally your emotional troops. And if  you've never seen Star Wars before (and to quote Carrie Fisher, "Then, why are you here?"), it is hopefully a motivating introduction.

In the purchase of Lucasfilm, I'm glad the filmmakers of the new Star Wars movies haven't discounted the prequels entirely.  I know they have problems, but the information in them still enlightens you as to the backstory and subtext of the original trilogy.


Redd Rocket's Pizza Port - Kanine Krunchies .... and a few Gadgets & Gizmos.....


Since it was convenient, I thought I'd grab lunch really quick at Redd Rocket's Pizza Port.....



Inside, they are selling these neat The Force Awakens glasses. Their design is meant to mimic merchandise from the original trilogy, which I just adore.


Here at Redd Rocket's you can get Kylo Ren and Chewbacca with a large fountain drink.  But to complete the set with a stormtrooper and/or BB-8, you need to head over to Galactic Grill.

I haven't eaten the themed food from Galactic Grill, but I haven't heard good things....should I try it to be sure?? Let me know!




Am I the only person who thinks it's kind of cruel to pair Kylo Ren and Chewbacca together? Is Chewie gonna try and kill him in The Last Jedi?

I wouldn't mind it.....



Another option is the cute BB-8 sipper.

My aunt doesn't like BB-8.  She thinks Disney is trying to position him as the "new, better R2-D2". And....she won't have that.  Therefore, I mock her on every possible occasion.


Is it just me, or does Redd Rocket's need a new color scheme? It doesn't even match the 1998 Tomorrowland redesign! It looks like a faux-Chuck E. Cheese built in the mid-90s.

The original intention with this restaurant was to take retired attraction vehicles and make them into booths. I'm going to assume financial concerns led to this result.

So, instead we have posters.....


No, I did not pull them off the wall. I wanted to.



Now, to the food. I went with the Celestial Chicken Caesar Salad.......it was NOT out of this world.

It was ok.  Passable. If you want to eat right because you're going to pig out later, or you had the Plaza Inn for breakfast and wanted to even out, fine.


And let me just add to the fact that the pizza is....bland. It's edible.

If your kid is really hungry and you can't drag them all the way to the French Market so you can have their Caesar Salad, this...will....do.....

I mean, it won't poison your kid. But Disney can certainly do better than this.

It is, somehow extremely bland.

Just hop out of the park and go to Naples.


And....that's all, folks!

Keep your eyes out for information on AP Days Week 3, as well as (hopefully) a review of the Red Rose Taverne, coming to the Village Haus in order to celebrate (and promote) the new live action Beauty & the Beast (woohoo!)

Please, if you have any comments, questions, suggestions, things you want me to show you or cover, leave your comments below. Have a good weekend!



1 comment:

  1. We must not forget the timeless lesson of Captain EO: MJ can transform ANYONE into a Solid Gold Dancer.
    See you later, trashcans....

    ReplyDelete